BTS is the biggest K-Pop group as people all around the world are ARMY. People become fans of the group not just because of their great music but because of their lyrics and messages throughout their work, such as “Love Yourself.” They have also been actively involved in charity work, such as their #ENDVIOLENCE campaign with UNICEF as well as privately donating to numerous other charities. Last year, they made a generous donation to Black Lives Matter as well. Their genuine caring personalities and hearts are one of the main factors in the group’s success.
Their messages and lyrics have encouraged many fans. BTS are one of the few K-Pop artists who have been outspoken on many topics still deemed taboo in South Korea, such as mental health and LGBTQIA+ topics. Henceforth, many people have said that BTS have helped them.
Here are 30+ times BTS have proved themselves to be LGBTQIA+ allies…
1. When RM recommended Blue Is The Warmest Color
RM previously recommended to fans the 2013 film adaptation of the 2010 graphic novel Blue Is the Warmest Color, a French love story between two women.
2. Fans of Troye Sivan
Jungkook is a well-known fan of Troye Sivan, an openly gay music artist. He also sang a duet of Sivan’s song “Fools” with RM.
3. RM’s UN Speech
In BTS’s speech for the United Nations, RM said, “No matter who you are, where you’re from, your skin color, gender identity: speak yourself.” Gay K-Pop artist Holland also shared that he felt “thankful” for RM’s UN speech.
4. Their friendship with Halsey
Not only did they collaborate with Halsey, who is openly fluid about their sexuality, on “Boy With Luv,” but they have a great friendship with the singer. They have been friends for years now, exchanging gifts, and often hanging out when they can.
5. When RM recommended “Same Love’ and “Strawberries and Cigarettes”
RM recommended “Same Love” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert. He said he liked the song twice as much after finding out the song’s meaning.
RM has also recommended Troye Sivan’s “Strawberries and Cigarettes, which is from the gay rom-com Love, Simon.
6. Breaking gender norms with their fashion choices in photoshoots
Recently, BTS’s Jimin and V gained praise for wearing skirts in Version 1 of their “Butter” single release photo concepts. BTS has been outspoken about wearing whatever you want to, regardless of gender.
Park Jimin wearing a skirt and fuzzy boots. Taking time to stop gender stereotypes. we love our king.🥺 pic.twitter.com/T4CHrAjNSb
— Nicholas Liddle (@NLiddle16) June 27, 2021
This isn’t the first time BTS has defied gender norms and worn traditionally female clothing, such as skirts.
Jungkook has also said that he belives people can wear anything they like “regardless of gender.”
In a 2014 interview with Japanese magazine Oricon Style, Suga described his ideal type.
I focus on personality and atmosphere. I don’t have an ideal type and it’s not limited to a girl.
8. When BTS collaborated with Lil Nas X
RM had featured on Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road” remix known to as “Seoul Town Road.” Later, all seven members performed with the openly gay music artist at the 2020 Grammy Awards.
9. When BTS members wore pieces from pride collections from brands
10. Deciding that their BT21 characters are gender-neutral
11. Including pride flag colors throughout their music videos
12. When BTS included a movie poster for an LGBT film in their set’s design
the movie is called heartbeats and he has many other lgbt films he has directed and written pic.twitter.com/jekJzzve85
— 𝚛𝚒𝚍⁷ (@xjishookxx) February 24, 2021
13. When RM gave an inclusive answer when asked about dating
When asking about dating in an interview, RM has said that they don’t have “boyfriend or girlfriend.”
14. J-Hope’s speech at MMA
When accepting the award for “Artist of the Year” at 2018 Melon Music Awards, J-Hope said that he had learned about different types of love.
15. When BTS used gender-inclusive lyrics in their songs
the song ‘i know’ released by namjoon and jungkook for festa 2016, where joon wrote lyrics and helped produce.
“know you love me girl so that i love you, know you love me boy so that i love you..”
— ًclosed (@BTSASMMM) September 4, 2019
16. When RM referenced Moonlight in his lyrics
In RM and V’s self-written, composed, and produced song “4 O’Clock,” RM references the Oscar-winning film Moonlight, which focuses on a young, gay man. The song was released as part of the BTS Festa on June 9, 2017.
17. When BTS admired ARMYs’ pride flags on tour
Throughout the Love Yourself tour, many ARMYs have brought pride flags and have had positive interactions with BTS as a result.
we were at the barricade and we had a huge lgbtq+ flag that we held up during the whole encore and all the members looked at it!!!! namjoon kept looking and he was trying to read what we wrote on it! also the bighit staff filmed it and took pictures oof we did it for the gays!!!! pic.twitter.com/xmSiA0SQDY
— carla⁷ (@joonieskys) October 19, 2018
18. Jungkook agreed to go on a date with a male ARMY
19. RM saying “being masculine” is an outdated concept
In BTS’s recent interview with Rolling Stone, they touched on masculinity, and RM described it as an “outdated concept.”
The labels of what being masculine is, is an outdated concept. It is not our intention to break it down. But if we are making a positive impact, we are very thankful. We live in an age where we shouldn’t have those labels or have those restrictions.
20. Both V’s “Stigma” and J-Hope’s “Boy Meets Evil” has been interpreted by fans as LGBT-themed lyrics
21. Suga’s lyrics in “Cypher Pt. 3: Killer”
There’s one line in particular during his rap that is quite sexual and refers to both “guys” and “girls.”
22. When RM wrote song “Party XXO” for girl group GLAM which contains WLW lyrics
23. The concept behind “Blood Sweat & Tears”
The song and music video are inspired by novel Demian, which is about temptation and features a gay kiss. Similarily, Jin kisses a male statue in the music video.
24. The possible gay relationship between BTS’s characters in the The Most Beautiful Moment in Life (HYYH) universe
In the music videos, short films, highlight reels, etc., some of the members’ pairings are interpreted as romantic by fans, especially RM and V’s characters, which was seemingly confirmed in a behind-the-scenes video. Suga and Jungkook is also interpreted this way.
25. Jin and Jungkook responding with male celebrities when asked about their celebrity crushes
Jin has frequently talked about his celebrity crush being Hollywood actor Brad Pitt.
Similarily, Jungkook has said that Marvel hero Iron Man is his celebrity crush.
Sometimes, the members even say that the other members, usually RM, are their celebrity crush.
26. BTS are also known fans of Kehlani, another openly queer artist.
RM has called her an “influential female artist,” V had her song “Honey” on his Spotify playlist, and Jimin said he likes to listen to the song too.
27. When Suga wore a shirt with a quote from Brokeback Mountain
This Oscar-winning 2005 film focuses on a gay relationship between a cowboy and a ranch hand.
28. BTS being outspokenly spoken out about their support of the LGBTQIA+ community in interviews
One of the first times that BTS openly spoke out in support of the LGBTQIA+ community during an interview with Billboard.
29. When Suga used “boy” instead of “girl” in “Good Day”
30. BTS collaborating with Mnek
Openly gay artist Mnek was one of the producers for BTS’s song “Paradise” and praised the BTS members.
31. V is a fan of many openly gay artists
Not only does V love Kehlani but he is a big fan of multiple artists who are members of the LGBT+ community, such as photographer Ryan McGinley and Creative Director of Gucci Alessandro Michele.
32. When RM read Confessions of a Mask
The Japanese novel focuses on a gay character.
33. When V recommended Call Me Be Your Name
In a live broadcast, V recommended the gay film Call Me By Your Name and said he liked the soundtrack.
34. BTS also frequently wear a variety of rainbow-colored outfits
35. When BTS changed their ARMY Bomb lights to rainbow
For more LGBTQIA+ allied groups, check out the article below: