To ring in the new year, SM Entertainment announced its free, online family concert featuring many of the agency’s beloved artists…
SMTOWN LIVE "Culture Humanity" Line-up Teaser
➫ 01.01.21 1PM KST
➫ 31.12.20 8PM PST
➫ 31.12.20 11PM EST#SMTOWN_LIVE_Culture_Humanity#KANGTA #TVXQ! #SUPERJUNIOR #TAEYEON #TAEMIN #BAEKHYUN #KAI #RedVelvet#NCTU #NCT127 #NCTDREAM #WayV #SuperM #aespa #Raiden #GINJO #IMLAY pic.twitter.com/X78EhlwWOx
— SMTOWN (@SMTOWNGLOBAL) December 27, 2020
… including Red Velvet.
As for the concert “invitation“, themed after actual tickets, SM Entertainment included a group photo for Red Velvet — including all five members.
💌SMTOWN LIVE Ticket from #RedVelvet has arrived!
— SMTOWN (@SMTOWNGLOBAL) December 28, 2020
While many ReVeluvs became ecstatic to see all the members brought back together…
What matters to ReVeluvs the most is seeing all 5 of our beloved girls finally together. Red Velvet is the best gift! Thank you @RVsmtown! We love you so much! See you soon!
— Twitter @rvelites
… some grew agitated yet again — over the inclusion of Irene, who did find herself in an “attitude controversy” for allegedly bullying a stylist staff.
Between those who suggest moving past the controversy because “Irene apologized and the victim accepted” versus…
- “I think the parties involved have worked it out… Yes, Irene will always remind us of the controversy. But we shouldn’t wish the worst for her, telling her to quit and retire. I hope she learned and grew from the experience.”
- “For those of you who keep saying she didn’t commit a crime, bullying at a workplace is a labor law violation that can be taken to court. Please don’t get it mixed up. The victim forgave her. It doesn’t mean she didn’t do anything wrong.”
- “She’s still a nuisance to the other members. I hope she understands that and leaves the group without making a scene out of it.”
- “Man… I’m so torn over this. This is the first time in a year that I get to see Red Velvet as a whole. But… Sigh.”
- “If she can’t handle the criticism, she can stay down low for a bit longer… Reflect a little more. She’s the one choosing to come back in such a short period of time.”
… those who insist on seeing Irene removed from the group because “Bullying is no light matter and must be addressed in all seriousness“, the debate is back on the table, fiercer than ever.
- “Well, that was brief.”
- “I don’t know, I feel like I’d stay on the down low because I’d be ashamed to see the agencymates after all that. I wonder what she’s thinking to be coming back already.”
- “I think I still root for OT5. I can’t wait to see them all.”
- “I’m sorry to the other members, but I simply don’t think I’ll ever be able to listen to their songs again — not without being reminded of what happened. Damn it…”
- “Look, Irene admitted her fault, owned up to it, and apologized. It’s not like she got caught doing drugs or drunk driving. It’s really not that big of a deal that she has to stay down low. I wish the best for Red Velvet. I hope they release more bops and make us all feel good again.”
Meanwhile, ReVeluvs believe the SMTOWN LIVE “Culture Humanity” to be one of the first steps Red Velvet is taking toward a”comeback“.
In November, SM Entertainment’s CEO Lee Sung Soo announced at the COMEUP 2020 press conference that there are plans for Red Velvet to make a comeback as a group soon.
[As for] Red Velvet — Yes, there was a slight controversy recently, but we have already sincerely apologized to the victim. The group has matured [since] and will be returning soon. We hope you’ll show them a lot of interest and support.
— Lee Sung Soo
Read more about Irene’s apology about her controversy here.